Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Crochet Nativity

Out of our several nativity sets, this one is the most unique.

My Grandma H. crocheted the set.

I find it very charming, and our kids absolutely **love** it!

Among all of our Christmas decorations, it's the first thing the girls look for and want to set up in the living room.

Proud Mary


Well, she probably wasn't feeling "proud" since she was so saintly and all. Just doing the job she was called to do, right? She sure looks like she feels great though...and very happy!


Joseph also looks quite thrilled after such a challenging journey (and not just the donkey ride into town).

The good king bringing gold from afar.


All the talk amongst these blond, brunette, and red-headed angels must be about how busy they know they're all gonna be watching over this little Savior's family.

A couple of reasons I find this particular hand-crafted set charming.


Would you just look at that Shepherd's wooly vest? Sweet.

And this. THIS.


The lady is spinning wool. Now, that is making it real with nativity scene detail! No need to stop what you're doing--just come as you are to see our newborn King!

With the mess all those large manger animals surely made, I'm glad Grandma H. wasn't tempted to make it even more real.

This nativity is one more hand-made heirloom I feel privileged to enjoy year after year.

Thanks, Grandma!


I'm adding this to the Nativity Parade.
Go have a looksie at some other Nativity sets.


Photobucket


I've also linked this post to A Meaningful Family Christmas link party where you can check out other families' wonderful ideas.

10 comments:

Colleen said...

What a SWEET set!!!! Thanks for sharing =)

Dorian said...

What talent your Grandmother had! And what a beautiful family heirloom! You are beyond lucky and blessed to have such a precious and one of a kind set,
The problem will be which of your daugthers will inherit it...it'll for sure cause a fight!
GORGOUES!!!!

Dorian said...

I meant children not daughters...opps!

Jules said...

This is just delightful! Oh the detail that your Grandmother went into. And your comments just cracked me up along the way! I wonder if Mary had moments of being proud of Jesus. Can you even imagine??? Thanks for sharing, that made my night. Jules

Deann said...

What a lovely Nativity set, Laura. Your grandma was a VERY talented lady!

Mayno said...

I've got a half-finished set of the same sitting for years in the basement, Laura. Don't think there are instructions with it, tho. Mom gave it to me to finish but I never did. If you want, it's yours. If not, no problem.

Nap Mom said...

Perfect! Perfect! My grandma made my nativity too. What a treasure!

Maria Babin said...

looking for christmas ideas for children, this is a great one, so please link up, come grab a button and join the party!
http://busyasabeeinparis.blogspot.com/2010/11/christmas-ideas-for-children-des-idees.html
xo
maria

Maria Babin said...

Thanks again! Merry Christmas!

Inge Wijnands said...

This is so beautifull!!! Do you know if your mother used a pattern? I'm searching for a pattern quit a while but never saw a beautifull set like this one!

Inge