Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Jimmer turns six

"You look much older, and your legs even look longer today."
That's what Jimmer heard as we all hugged and wished him a happy 6th birthday.

Then we grabbed the violins and drove off to their Saturday morning class.

When we came home, I found Joe in the house frantically trying to clean up and put everything away so Jimmer wouldn't see the birthday cake he requested--a camper cake.

Yep, Joe made this one since there was no time on Halloween (the day before his birthday) and no time in the morning on his birthday for me to make one.

I was confident that Joe's structural engineering talents would shine and that he'd be able to pull it off. I just gave him materials suggestions (frozen pound cakes, frosting, fruit rolls, mini donuts, life savers, licorice). He didn't even have to use steel or concrete for this structure, although a couple of toothpicks were used for reinforcement. Some extra special touches--green sprinkles for grass, a couple of chimps (Jimmer's faves) and other fun animals, trees, and even (ahem) a dump station. He made me proud--not because of the dump station but because he didn't even use a measuring device OR a level...not even blue prints! (Doing things "Willy-Nilly" like that usually goes against every grain in an engineer's being.)

I'm thinking he did such a fine job, we may just share this job of requested birthday cake creations.


* * * * * * * * * * * *

We spent the day at the history museum. Before we got there, we played on "the strings" (I don't know the official name--that's just what the kids call it.) on the university campus next to the museum of art.

Check out this structure. It looks like a bunch of spaghetti dangling down to the ground.

You can't walk by and just look at it.
You've gotta swing a little...
Do some flips (I did.)...
Be childlike...
It's good for you!
I wish we had one of these string structures in our back yard.

All that fun from something so simple--surgical tubing.

Then we walked over to the history museum and watched an IMAX movie, Wild Ocean 3D.

A silhouette of the kids at the museum.


* * * * * * * * * * * *

Back home for more birthday celebrating.

Jimmer really liked his camper cake.

Checking out the front of the camper.
Checking out the ladder in back.
"Aw, Dad, is that the sewer water hose?"

Yep, sure is. (Leave it to Dad to include that part.)

Make a wish...

Jimmer with one of his favorite birthday gifts.

Happy Birthday, our sweet and snugly chimpy boy! We love you.

5 comments:

mrs boo radley said...

Ah, isn't it wonderful to have an engineer around the house...you know, for these types of projects?

Your little one DOES look older! I could really see it in the first pic.

What a fabulous art display! I want to swing on some strings or noodles or whatever too!

Renee said...

That seemed like a AWESOME birthday day. I liked seeing the string thing too. So now I know that Bubba and Jimmer is 1 yr and 2 days apart. Bubba turned 5 yesterday.

Angela said...

Yay! Happy Birthday Jimmer!! I cannot believe that cake! That is amazing... truly. What a fun day it looks like you all had! But I'm wondering- since you said you can't just walk by the strings and just look at them.... where is the picture of YOU hanging on the strings, Laura??

Kristin said...

What a great post! And what a great birthday for Jimmer, too. That cake was darn impressive. I would have cried if you would have left me with no directions. Your husband is brave to follow your cake masterpieces! And those noodle strings at the museum look so cool! But I agree with Angela...I wanna see a pic of you doing a flip! :)

L a u r a said...

Ah, yes. There is a record of my flipping in the strings! We don't have pictures, but we have video our video recorder. I haven't seen it yet, and I don't even know where our cord is to transfer the clip to the computer...or how to transfer it. It's above my pay grade!

If I figure it out and get it transferred, maybe you'll see it in a surprise post!