Pages

Friday, November 14, 2008

A brother's remorse

When I heard the kids' Friday afternoon tomfoolery stop suddenly, I was a little suspicious. Then when Jimmer came upstairs half crying as he was telling me "it" was an accident, I knew something was up.

I found Mary Kate in the kitchen filling up the ice bag, and Mikey standing nearby waiting to see what I thought about this new shiner.It wasn't bleeding too much, but it was pretty close to his eye. Not an emergency, thankfully!

After Jimmer had seen what he had done with one of his steel marbles, he felt quite horrible and became uncharacteristically quiet. How did this happen? All I can say is that each of the kids said it was an accident.

Mikey sat with ice on his eye as I started to read the last chapter of All of a Kind Family. Jimmer continued to sit quietly fiddling around with some paper.

As I continued reading, Jimmer came up to Mikey every couple of minutes and set a piece of paper on Mikey's lap. "Here you go, Mikey."

Each hand-cut piece of paper represented an additional apology.

The collection of apologies.

3 comments:

mrs boo radley said...

What lovely brown eyes!

And the remorse papers are so hilarious. He can use them to mask the marble spot.

Kristin said...

Awww...what a sweet and creative way to apologize. I think I will try that sometime! :)

Kris said...

How beautiful is that!

Yes, I get the, "It was an accident," line before I get the story, too.